Frequently Asked Questions

How should I select my Celebrant?

You should research your celebrant via their advertising to find out if they possess the qualities you are looking for in a celebrant to perform your ceremony. Once you are happy with your selection, you should contact that celebrant to make an appointment and talk about their service and booking requirements.

What notice do I need to give to get married?

You must give at least one months’ notice and no more than eighteen months’ notice of your intention to marry to your celebrant, this is stipulated in the Marriage Act 1961.

There are special circumstances where you can apply for a shortening of this time, if you can’t give one month’s notice, please contact me and I can advise you of the steps you need to take.

What steps are involved to give my notice to marry?

You are required to fill out a Notice of Intent to Marry with your celebrant which you must sign. Your celebrant will help you with this process. The one months’ notice starts from the date your celebrant obtains your notice.

What documents will I need to provide my celebrant for my marriage?

You are required to provide your celebrant with the following documents:

– Proof of your date and place of birth

  • Birth Certificate
  • Extract of Birth Certificate
  • Overseas Passport
  • Statutory Declaration (ONLY in exceptional circumstances)

– Photo Identification, at least one of the following

  • Drivers Licence
  • Proof of Age Card / Photo Card
  • Australian or Overseas Passport; or
  • A Certificate of Australian Citizenship along with another form of photographic evidence (such as a student card or other photo identification not listed above)

– Evidence of previous marriage

  • Divorce Certificate
  • Certificate of Death of your former spouse

– Change of Name

  • Certificate of Change of Name
  • Certificate of Previous Marriage
  • Deed Poll

Will I need witnesses for my wedding ceremony?

Yes, under section 44 of the Marriage Act, a marriage may only be solemnised if two people over 18 years of age are present at the ceremony to be witnesses. Witnesses are required to sign the Marriage Certificates and stand close to hear and understand the ceremony.

Do you travel?

Yes, I travel to many locations to perform ceremonies. I am based in Warragul within Gippsland, Victoria and my packages include travel to your venue up to 1 hour return trip from Warragul.

Do you help with ceremony music?

I can assist with music for your ceremony. You should choose songs that represent you as a couple or your children depending on the ceremony.

For a Naming Ceremony I recommend you choose:

  • One song for the start of the ceremony
  • One song for the end of the ceremony
  • One-Two songs for photos

For a Wedding Ceremony I recommend you choose:

  • One for walking down the aisle
  • Two songs for the signing of the marriage register
  • One for walking back up the aisle

For a Renewal of Vows and Commitment Ceremonies I recommend you choose:

  • One song for the start of the ceremony
  • One song for the end of the ceremony
  • One-Two songs for photos

Do you have a PA System and Microphone?

Yes, I have a PA system and Microphone you can use. However you will need to organise someone to control the volume, press play and press stop when required. I suggest they attend your rehearsal so they can make themselves familiar with the timing of the ceremony.

You will need to upload the songs you wish to play at the ceremony on a storage device such as MP3, iPhone or iPad that will connect to my PA System via a AUX cord.

What happens at the Rehearsal?

I will go through the entire ceremony from start to finish to make sure everyone knows what is required of them and you have a thorough understanding. This is where you can make any last minute adjustments before the big day. I usually perform the rehearsal about one week prior to the ceremony.

Do I get my Wedding Certificate on my Wedding Day?

You will be provided with the Form 15 Certificate of Marriage which is a A4 Marriage Certificate you can display proudly in your home.

To obtain your Official Marriage Certificate you will need to apply to Births, Deaths and Marriages after your marriage is solemnised on your wedding day. Your Official Marriage Certificate is what you use to change your name if required in the future.

What is your fee?

My fee is all inclusive for my ceremonies. Please contact me for further information.